Tenancy Documents

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

Damp and Mould Problems

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

Heating Problems

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

Landlords Property Access

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

Giving Notice

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

Reporting A Repair

Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus.

The information below may help you when moving into your tenancy.  If you do not find the answer to your query here, try our more indepth FAQ page, and if it is not there, please call us to find out more.

Tenant Responsibilities

You are responsible for the insurance of your own contents and personal effects. This is something which we can help you with (see Obtaining References). You are also responsible for providing a TV Licence whether or not a TV is provided by the landlord. You are also required to make your own arrangements for the provision of a phone connection/line/broadband subject to the landlord’s agreement. Landlord approval must also be obtained to have Sky etc. set up at the property. You are responsible for regularly checking all smoke alarms and replacing batteries. Contacting Utility Companies, Local Council etc. about your Tenancy You must contact the utility companies with relevant meter readings (and the council), both after the move-in and move-out appointments to ensure your account is dealt with correctly. Please bear in mind that your responsibility for these services is for the duration of the tenancy which may not necessarily be exactly the same as the dates of occupation.


All carpets need to be cleaned on a six to twelve month basis, simply because of general living. We recommend professional steam cleaning and we do not recommend the use of ‘do-it-yourself’ hire machines. Note: at time of vacating we require a copy of a receipt to show the carpets have been professionally cleaned.



How to reduce condensation: By introducing low level heating, the temperature of internal surfaces will rise. This will reduce cooling of any moisture-laden air and, consequently, the amount of condensation.

General Cleaning

It is expected that the property be kept reasonably clean and this is also a tenancy agreement requirement.

Pay particular attention to:

Walls, switches, power points, skirting, doors and doorways – keep these free from all marks.

Cobwebs/dusting – remove cobwebs on windows, walls and ceilings. Keep vents dusted. Light fittings and ceiling fans – dust them regularly.

Curtains/blinds – keep these cleaned, dustfree and also (if suitable) machine or dry clean curtains and netting on an annual basis.

Windows/sills/window tracks and flyscreens – keep these regularly cleaned and dusted.

Floors – keep these regularly swept and mopped. Floors in the kitchen and wet areas may need to be scrubbed to keep surfaces, tiles and grouting looking clean.

Ventilation – ensure that all rooms are kept adequately ventilated to avoid problems associated with condensation, causing mould and possible health problems.

Wet areas, bathroom, toilet and laundry grouting/tiles – ensure all tiles are kept free from grime, soap scum and mould.

Oven and stove tops – stove tops, grillers and ovens are to be kept free of burnt on food. Food, crumbs and spills when left long enough become burnt on, blackened and carbonised, making them very difficult to remove. Please use care when using scourers as these may scratch and damage enamel surfaces.

Exhaust fans/vents and rangehoods – ensure any vents and rangehood filters are kept clean. Ensure the exhaust fan cover is clean and kept free of grime build up. From time to time these should be taken down and removed to be soaked in hot soapy water, and then scrubbed clean.

Cupboards/drawers – most cupboards and drawers are lined with white lining, which is great for easy cleaning. Cupboard shelving, doors, doorframes and inside drawers/cutlery tidies should be cleaned often.

Dishwashers – dishwashers provided as part of your tenancy need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

Chopping boards – must be used on bench tops at all time to prevent cut marks and associated damage.

Foreign objects down the drain – take care not to allow children to place toys or other items down drains. If your property has a septic tank system, please do not flush foreign objects down the toilet. If a plumber is employed by us to clear pipes, drains, basins or sinks and it is determined that the blockage was determined to be caused by a blockage by a foreign object, the bill will be accounted to you for payment.

Watering systems – ensure that all watering systems are working properly, and are checked regularly throughout the tenancy to ensure they continue to work effectively.

Weeding and shrub trimming – weeding of garden beds, inside lawns, paths, paving and other outside areas are the responsibility of the tenant. Trimming of bushes and shrubs in and around the garden are also the responsibility of the tenant.

Lawn maintenance – ensure that lawns are regularly mowed, edged and weeded, keeping them neat and tidy.

Supplied hoses/fittings – supplied hoses, fittings and accessories must be kept in good condition and returned upon vacating of the property.

Flyscreens – some modern window flyscreens can only be removed from the inside of the property. Attempting to remove them from the outside will result in damage to the flyscreen framework and will result in the flyscreen having to be repaired or replaced at your cost.

Rubbish – please ensure any rubbish is regularly removed from the property. This includes car parts, tyres and things like lawn clippings, drink bottles as well as other items that can easily be considered rubbish or general junk.
Rubbish cannot be allowed to accumulate.

Oil drippage – should oil drippage occur at anytime, it must be cleaned up immediately to prevent oil seeping in and permanently staining.



Tenants should ensure any combustion heaters are kept clean of ash build up, and also ensure a protective mat is placed in front of the heater to protect against coals and ash falling out and singeing/damaging carpets or floors. For other heaters, please ensure that no combustible or flammable material is placed on or near heaters to avoid a fire risk.

House Cracks and Movement

Please let us know if you notice any cracks to walls, ceilings or any other evidence of building movement. Please either report these in writing or point them out to us at the routine inspection.


Mould infestation generally occurs from condensation, lack of ventilation or moisture ingress from building or plumbing defects. If you see signs of mould within the home, please contact your property manager.

No Smoking Policy

All our properties have a strict ‘no smoking inside’ policy. Tenants will be responsible for cleaning and deodorising the inside of the property to eliminate smoke odours. This can be a costly exercise and any expense for cleaning walls, carpets, curtains, blinds due to tenants smoking inside will be charged to the tenant.


We do not allow pets

Pot Plants

Please keep pot plants outside. Pot plants placed inside on hard surfaces like tiles and linoleum, may leave a circular indent, stains and damage. Pot plants placed on carpet areas run the risk of carpet rot underneath, should moisture overflow or escape even with plates and containers placed underneath to attempt to prevent thi

Picture Hooks

If you wish to install any new picture hooks, please let us know in writing what type of hooks you wish to use. Please assess the type of walls that are in the property and the type of picture hooks that are suitable. We will let you know in writing before you are permitted to install appropriate picture hooks.

Property Damage & Issues

If property damage has occurred by you or your visitors you are obligated to let us know immediately or on the next business day (if incident occurred on a weekend or public holiday).

  • Benchtop joins – be on the lookout for joins in the bench-top that have gaps and the surface laminate has started to bulge or lift at a join. Please let us know if this is starting to occur as this may indicate moisture has seeped into a join and is swelling the chipboard underneath.
  • Grouting/tiling/taps – if grouting or silicone sealing is coming off/loose around any tiles near or around the taps and/or taps are dripping/leaking to let us know by using a repair request.
  • Blocked sinks/drains – should a sink or basin become blocked, first try a drain cleaning product like Drano. Be sure to follow the product instructions carefully. If the sink or basin is still blocked after treatment, please let us know so we can arrange for a plumber to attend to the problem.
  • Toilet leaking – water trickling or leaking into the bowl from the cistern usually indicates a worn cistern washer and needs to be fixed by a plumber.
  • Taps leaking – report any taps leaking either from a tap head or tap handles. This includes washing machine taps.
  • Loose tiles – should you notice loose tiles on walls in the shower recess or loose tiles over the laundry trough etc, please be sure to let your property manager know.
  • Wall water damage – should you notice water damage to a wall adjacent to a shower recess, bathroom basin etc please let your property manager know immediately. This can be identified by bubbling or peeling paint, or even water or mould marks to the flooring/carpet.
  • Hot water system leaks – if the hot water service is leaking constantly from the valve or from the base of the unit please let your property manager know.
Smoke Detectors

Should you believe, for any reason, the smoke detectors installed are not working or the batteries are not functioning, please let us know immediately. If the smoke detector “bleeps”, it means that the batteries need changing, changing the batteries is your responsiblity.  Be vigilant and report to us any issues, to ensure your safety in the case of a fire.

Updating and Decorating

Fixtures and fittings: If you wish to install or remove any fixtures or fittings, you must request permission for this beforehand in writing.  You must not drill into any walls, you must not hang any item on a wall without permission. Any damage to walls or ceilings caused by decorations or fixings are your responsibility.

Painting and Decorating: Tenants should not paint or decorate any part of the property themselves. Painting can only be carried out by experienced, professional painters with our written permission.  If you do paint/decorate the property, under the term of your tenancy agreeement, you are obliged to put the property back to its original state.

The tenant would not normally be required to re-decorate the property at the end of the tenancy unless they have changed the decoration or it has been stated in the agreement. If the property’s interior decoration had been damaged the tenant may be required to re-decorate the property, or we may retain some of the deposit to cover re-decoration costs.

Minor Repairs

Tenants are responsible for minor repairs.  It’s almost impossible to list what is considered to be a “minor repair”, suffice to say that it comes down to common sense.  A lose cupboard handle should be repaired by the tenant, as should a lose gate latch or a light bulb that needs replacing.   

Maintainence and Repairs

If you have a maintenance issue, our ticket reporting system for tenantsis available 24/7 or you can report it by using one of the numbers on the Contact Us Page.  If you currently have a maintenance issue, then click on the following link above to report your problem.

What to do in the case of an Emergency:-

At any time: If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, you should call the National Gas Emergency Service Freephone number on 0800 111 999 at any time day or night.

During office hours (Mon – Fri: 9am – 5:30pm, Sat 9am – 2pm): Contact your property manager or property management department. If you are unsure of your property manager call our head office team on: 01922 669996


Out of hours (Bank Holidays, weekends, weekdays: 5:30pm – 9am):

Follow the emergency arrangements made by your landlord/iLove homes. For example if your Landlord has provided 24/7 insured maintenance/emergency cover (for example: British Gas HomecareTM, Heatteam Cover for Potterton boilers, Homeserve or other insured product), then please contact the relevant service as per the details supplied. If your property is covered by British Gas Homecare™ please call 0800 294 9650 in the first instance or any other Emergency cover provider as previously advised.

Please note: Emergency services are free of charge (to the tenant) if it is a genuine emergency. Please refer to the definition of an emergency using the emergency definitions table below. If the emergency is due to any act of negligence or responsibility of the tenant then you will be liable to reimburse the cost of the call out and any works carried out.

Likewise, if you call out for emergency assistance from one of the designated tradesman (listed below) and it is not deemed to be an emergency, then you will be liable to pay the call out fee without reimbursement. The emergency call out tariff’s are listed below. The call out fee will need to be paid direct to the tradesman and will be reimbursed to you at a later date, if it is a genuine emergency.

Looking after the property

We expect you to look after the property as if it were your own. Where applicable, this also includes the garden area. Responsibility for the property rests with the tenants during the tenancy. Any problems that may occur or repairs that are necessary MUST be reported via our website through our on-line repair reporting system – ‘Report a Repair’. We aim to resolve any repairs issues for you ASAP. To assist us we will pass your contact details to our contractor to allow them to make access arrangements with you. In the event of an emergency occurring, you should take all reasonable steps to prevent the problem escalating. If you are absent from the property at any time it must be fully secured. In the event that the property is burgled you must contact the Police and advise us immediately. Please ensure you obtain a crime reference number. You will be accountable for any damage through wilful neglect or misuse during the period of the tenancy.


You are responsible for insuring your personal possession and furniture, your landlord is responsible for insuring the property and his/her furniture.

Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS)

Your deposit by law is protected. Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that your deposit is registered with either one of the three schemes available. If we manage the property on behalf of the landlord we will register your deposit with the Deposit Protection Scheme and we welcome you to visit their website at ????????????

When you find the right property what do you need to do?

Call into the office where a member of staff will be more than happy to help you with complete the necessary paperwork. You will require a minimum £200 holding fee which will secure the property whilst we carry out the referencing process. This is NON refundable but will be taken off the total amount of moving in monies required upon completion of satisfactory references.


Breaches of the tenancy agreement (damages)

Where the tenant has breached their tenancy agreement and caused damage as a result, then landlords may still seek compensation via deductions from the deposit or court action. They should also be able to leave clauses in their contract stating that the landlord may seek their costs for damages.

What they will not be able to do is insert a clause in the tenancy which sets a fixed fee for the damages incurred (a default fee) unless it is specifically permitted.

The government’s guidance goes further than this however, wrongly stating that landlords may not have clauses in their contract stating that that legal costs will be payable in the event of a breach.


Breaches of the tenancy agreement (default payments)

Landlords are allowed to charge for two types of default payments – loss of keys and late payment of rent. Both are subject to restrictions.

For the loss of keys, landlords are allowed to charge the reasonable cost that they can evidence in writing. Anything landlords cannot evidence in writing with receipts will likely be considered a prohibited payment.

For late payment of rent, landlords and agents may only charge 3% above the Bank of England base rate in interest on the late payment of rent from the date the payment is missed. At the time of writing this would be 3.75% interest. They may not charge for sending reminder letters.

We promise we don’t send spam